The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sentimental Journey

When I was first preparing to move from Cleveland, I knew I was going to have to sell or throw away the majority of my belongings. Fairly traumatic, as most everything I owned had such sentimental meaning, but I didn't have any options. However, I did keep a few things and take them with me to the Cape.

A year ago yesterday I had lost one of my more sentimental attachments. I searched the house I was staying in when I realized it was missing, but couldn't find it. When I moved to New York, I searched again, thinking I might have placed it one of the boxes, but didn't find anything then.

This past weekend, seeing it was the anniversary of when I lost it, I searched the few boxes I have, and alas...it's gone. Cest' la vie, live and learn, life goes on. Shit!

This whole experience has got me thinking though. Why do we attach such sentimental value to "things". Sentimental objects are really nothing more than objects attached to a pleasant thought or feeling. Are we so afraid of losing our memories that we have to keep the object to remind us? Or by keeping the object, do we only hope that we can attain that feeling or experience one more time?

If it's the latter, then the point is moot. We can't relive the past, and the events and experiences are unattainable. Sort of like your first time, you can't have it again. For me, all I have left of the object I lost is the memory. Still...I miss the object it represented.

Patrick - 3:00 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com