The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bake Sales

Being that I was raised in a very politically active home, I'm a firm believer in voting not only as a civic duty, but as a social responsibility. Would you rehire a car mechanic if you weren't satisfied with their work? Then why would you rehire a politician?

Therefore, at 7:00 am, I got my butt out of bed and walked down to the local school where I was instructed to cast my vote. That being said, I hate going to the polls, as you are bombarded by last ditch efforts to push you to vote in a particular direction. In this case, someone grabbed my hand and said "Remember to vote Republican! You don't want things to go back to the way they were do you?"

Do you all remember the Disney cartoon movies we would see as children. The villain (usually a witch) would suddenly get all powerful and all the surrounding colors would turn dark. The witch would become surrounded in foreboding smoke and fire and I even think a little brimstone. This was what happened to me. It started with my eyes flaring red.

Take...your...hands...off...of...me. I hissed.
The worker looked surprised. "Well surely you're doing better than you were in 2000!" he challenged.


This would be his biggest mistake today.

You think I'm doing better? Let's see. In 2000 I was working one job making twice what I am currently earning. My rent was only a fourth of what I am paying now, and I still had enough after paying all of my bills that I was able to take a vacation. Currently, I work two jobs, one of which supplies the rent money while the other pays my utilities, food, and metrocard expenses. Savings is only obtained when I skip meals, something I'm luckily able to do.

Additionally, I see that the school where the voting is taking place is having a bake sale because they don't have enough funding for basic school programs. Do you think they are doing better than 6 years ago?

Perhaps if you took 5 seconds to look at the second hand clothing I'm wearing, or my pissed off determined look as I head to the polling station, you might have determined that of all people, I'm the last one you would ever want to approach
!


I would have continued, except that an elderly woman with silver gray hair, and sunglasses put her arm in mine and said "Come on dear." She pulled me away and the Republican campaigner finally let go of my other arm. She walked me towards the door of the school building and said, "Let's go get 'em!" I bought her a couple of brownies from the bake sale table on the way out.

Patrick - 3:50 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com