The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Thursday, November 02, 2006

Decor

During a phone call I received about two weeks ago, someone asked me what I was up to and how I was feeling. I gave the standard answers. I'm feeling better and stronger. I'm able to run again and am slowly building my running endurance back up. I'm still not allowed to eat solid food, so I'm losing weight, but I'm working hard at holding that back. Mashed potato soup is my new friend.

I then asked what was going on with him, and got his standard answers.

He then asked me if anything else was new.

***blank stare and blank thoughts***

I didn't know how to answer his question. I'd like to say I'm such a goal oriented person, but have difficulty in defining what my goals are at times. So much so, that I find myself feeling like I have no goals at all. Of course, others who know me would disagree, and would point out some of my immediate goals.

Is this just me or do a large portion of the population find themselves wandering aimlessly in life, surviving stagnatly and not moving forward? It's not that they don't have goals, but that rather their goals are the results of an achievement (new house, better clothes, more money) rather than the achievement itself (a specific higher paying job).


I love board games. The goals are set up front. Get the following items, dominate the board, own the real estate...whatever, but this is the defined task. But in life, you have to define those goals for yourself. That's more difficult. Some people get so bogged down with the everyday, they can't even see how to change things. Yet an outsider will have the answers in a matter of seconds. And everyone seems to be an expert on other people's lives.

This is why people hire decorators. They are completely perplexed on how to even start decorating their homes because they live in their space and are too close. Instead they hire a fresh pair of eyes.

Thus this week I'm decorating my life. I'm focusing on setting some new goals, seeing that some that I set for the last year aren't going to be achieved...yet. (I'm just moving the deadline forward a bit). Once I've got a new goal or two, I can work on strategy.

How about you? Tell me one of your goals.

Patrick - 3:43 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com