The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Thursday, December 07, 2006

Grimace and Bear It

***Say Cheese***


After reading a bit of this website, you may find it strange that I am a very private person, and that my invasion of privacy is something I take very seriously. Yes this website does release personal information about me, but all material posted on this site has been run by my "Press Agent" (which really is my own brain, but sounds so much cooler). I choose how much of my privacy I am willing to give up.

***Smile for the camera***


In college, I had a professor once give a lecture while a camera crew was filming. He was planning on using the film for a commercial regarding the college, yet what infuriated me the most was that he never asked his class if they would mind being videotaped. I did, and anytime the camera was focused in my direction, I had my middle finger promptly pointing skyward (hopefully ensuring I would be edited out).

***Strike a pose***


My current day job puts me in a similar situation. During the year, we hold events that we want to document with photographs. These photographs could be used in future promotional materials, or annual reports, or a number of other things. Therefore, we hire a photographer who will wander the event taking candid and posed shots, and I always know where the photographer is. I hate having my picture taken without my express consent, and I'm a master at avoiding the photographer.

***Nice shot...Don't move***


Friends can take my photo, and I have no problem with it, as I know they aren't selling them or making any money from them. However, when I "make it" (and I will), they'd be crazy not to sell those photos of me wearing just the pink tutu and coconut bra.

But for whatever reason, events like today really tick me off. I feel cornered and somewhat threatened by my having to submit to photos I'd rather not have taken of me. But for the sake of remaining employed, I grimace and bear it. For now.


How about you? Do you like having your picture taken?

Patrick - 7:09 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com