The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I Told You So!

Family is a real bitch sometime (or at least mine can be), but regardless...we're stuck with them. We turn to them when we need something (like a reduction in our self esteem or a reason for therapy). Not you? Have you met my grandmother?

My Ex is the only person I've ever dated who has met the grandmother. He secretly calls her "Cuntora, the Bad Witch". They hated each other at the first meeting, but the Ex is diplomatic enough to keep the peace. After 4 years...she actually started to send him Christmas cards and birthday cards (always signed Patrick's Grandmother).

Eventually she even made him a plate of her famous Christmas cookies (although never as popular as mom's pot brownies). She grew to accept the guy.

Yet I have a confession here. All of my family knows that the Ex and I went our separate ways years ago...except my grandmother. Of course, now I ask myself why? We originally thought "Why upset her?" But in reality I don't think it's the real reason.

Admitting failure is such a pain in the ass, and failed relationships are the worst. It's hard enough admitting it to each other that it's over, but having to tell your friends and family feels nearly shameful. And it's natural for people to inadvertently gloat, although my grandmother has never inadvertently did anything. All this time, I've just not wanted to deal with hearing "I knew it would never last."

That, and I like getting his plate of Christmas cookies.

Patrick - 3:10 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com