The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Friday, January 05, 2007

Getting a Big One

Yesterday, I spent my evening surviving an avalanche. No, I'm not traveling in the mountains, and with record temperatures of 60 in the city, I wouldn't worry about snow here for a while, and no...I'm not involved in some crazy cocaine incident. Rather, I had joined the gay ski club and attended their first "mixer" of the season, called an "Avalanche". Think 200 queer and queer friendly people all drinking and wearing name tags.

How many people like playing slot machines? I'm not a big fan, because in order to hit big, everything has to be perfectly on the same line (like a group of 5 shamrocks). Almost exactly like the dating world. Thus when the 7pm bell rang and the name tags were put on, I started pulling on the handle!

*****


Contestant Number 1

A dark haired gentleman with brown eyes. About 5'9", he had a booming voice that made it easy to hear him in the crowded bar. Here was his score.
He laughed at my jokes. Cherry!
He's single. Cherry!,
has been employed in the city for 5 years Cherry!,
and just rented an apartment in Hoboken NJ.
Whammy!

He got my number, but that was moot. I don't even know how to get to Hoboken, let alone want to ride a path train over there. Don't I need a passport for Jersey?

*****


Contestant Number 2
5'7", blond hair, in his 30's.
Speaks 9 languages. Cherry!
Recently (six months ago) became unemployed.
Whammy!

*****


Contestant Number 3
26, 5'8", brown hair, brown eyes, and I wasn't sure if he had a uni brow because the lighting was bad.
"I came out of the closet last month".
Whammy!

*****


Contestant Number 4
Short blond hair, wire rim glasses, about 5'6", cute smile.
"Hi...my name is Nicole."
Whammy! Why do lesbians get such good haircuts?

*****


Contestant Number 5
Male, 5'9", medium frame, fairly muscled. 35.
"I'm visiting family in the city. I live in Los Angeles now"
Whammy.
"I graduated from Harvard Medical School and specialized in infectious diseases."
Whammy.
"I plan on moving back here, after my contract expires. I'll then open my own private practice. For now, I'm staying at XXXX hotel.

*****


The best part about showering at a $1200 a night hotel? Those comfy robes you get to wear while room service is being delivered.

Does anyone think my coworkers will notice that I wore the same clothes yesterday to work?

Patrick - 2:00 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com