The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Inadequacies

Once, during a job interview, I was asked the question of how I would define success. I can't remember the answer I gave, but I didn't get the job, so it's unimportant. However, success is something I've noticed over the years, and there are times I've not felt like I measured up to who should be my peers.

Tomorrow, I'm going to be riding in a car for six hours with two skiers. The first, is a Stanford educated, Harvard Law graduate, who is a partner in a law firm. His boyfriend is a Yale educated PhD, who owns one of the larger international marketing firms in NYC. Lawyer, Business Owner, and Secretary/comic will be traveling in a car together...yay! Won't we have so much in common? While they discuss their trip to Europe, I can discuss my avoiding a bill collector. Yes, it's my inadequacy, but if we were in a dick measuring contest, I'd feel as if I didn't qualify to compete. I'd feel really small.

Now I've had successful friends before. My friends B & K from Cleveland were able to buy a house large enough that my 2 floor house in Cleveland would have fit in their garage. The difference? B & K came from a modest background. K studied at a state funded institution and did very well for himself, something I respect immensely respect.

Having worked in higher education, I do know what an Ivy League education can get you. Basically a job that pays significantly higher. The problem is that Ivy League educations are generally only available to the wealthy families. I could have had the grades (I didn't...I dropped out of high school) and been admitted to Harvard, but I never would have had the money to go. I'm lucky I have the education I do (all from state schools...which I will have paid off by the time I'm 70).

New York is about defining the "Haves" and the "Have Nots". I don't mind being a "have not", but it does make being around a "have" all the more difficult. Summer in the Hampton's, weekend vacation homes, designer clothes, and investment portfolios are something I'm not ever going to have in common with someone. Avoiding bill collectors, surfing on someone else's wireless Internet service, and considering having sex for money is something I can relate to. Why the fuck is it so hard to meet those people?

Patrick - 2:43 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com