The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Thursday, April 05, 2007

Clam Up!

What does your vagina look like after having sex?
Ummm...ever see a bull dog eating mayonnaise?

~Mrs. Garret, The Facts of Life, The Lost Episode


You can thank me later for that vile image, but I do have a reason I'm bringing this up. Last night, I went to see the above mentioned show.




Five drag queens playing the four girls and matron of Eastland School for Girls. For the most part, I really liked the show, but I found myself thinking one thing at the end. Why is it that so many gay men have this complete fascination with women's genitalia?

I'm not vagina phobic. I tried it once, but like cauliflower...I just didn't care for it all that much. In fact...I'd prefer to not eat cauliflower ever again. So what's the draw for gay men. We aren't going there anytime soon, and for many of us, our last visit was the day we traveled out head first.

***Side note - Ironically, most of the gay men I know were born premature. Was this a sign that we didn't want in there anymore? Maybe not a coincidence.

I've gone with female friends to gay bars, and they've mentioned getting their breasts grabbed by random gay men. I don't know if it's my manners and upbringing, or the fact that I just don't want too...BUT I WOULD NEVER! Not even if asked.

Of course I realize that drag is not about portraying females in a realistic way. Otherwise, it wouldn't be campy and over the top. But why all the (sorry Tuna, I know you hate when I say this word) pussy jokes? Shouldn't a man playing a woman be funny enough without getting graphic?

Patrick - 1:48 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com