The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Friday, April 06, 2007

Face Recognition

Starting a conversation with someone you are interested in is never easy. You can use a stupid line like "do you come here often?" Or you could go with something more classic like "Nice shoes...wanna fuck?" Lately though, I've had the same line used on me several times.

"You look familiar...do I know you from somewhere?"

Yeah...it's a line. It's cornball, but it is a way of meeting someone you want to meet. My response is usually the same..."I don't think we've met."

So imagine my surprise when the female receptionist who works at the hospital's preadmission testing offices said I look familiar. It's been a long time since a woman has tried to pick me up. I was flattered, and I suggested that she might remember me from the last time I came in for preadmission testing in September. She kept staring at my face, but said she couldn't quite recall where.

As I was about to go into the examining room, she named a few clubs she's gone to, asking if I'd been there. Clever girl, I figured she was giving me clues as to where she'd be hanging out this weekend. Aggressive...I can appreciate that, even if I still wouldn't date her. "Maybe she has a brother", I thought.

I went through the usual humiliating physical. No hernias, blood work is fine, and after a brief uncomfortable experience, I can tell you that my prostrate gland is perfectly healthy. Thankfully, the doctor was gentle, even bordering on cute. Maybe he'll call me later? I was about to leave when the receptionist asked what bars and clubs I went to.

I listed off several gay bars, and the few comedy clubs I've done shows at in town. Her eyes flashed on the word comedy, and she quickly typed something on her computer. She then looked back at me and said two words:

Traveling Spotlight

I need to reconsider putting my photos on this page.

Patrick - 2:35 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com