The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Monday, May 14, 2007

Prison Break

Over the last 28 days, I have spent 25 of them in the hospital. That's half of the time it takes to win Survivor. And during that time staying in the "NYU Hotel", I discovered what it's like to be in prison, and what it's like getting out.

The nurses monitor everything about you, including how much urine you are producing, the amounts of food and drink you are consuming, and if you've had a bowel movement (a question I began to dread daily). The days are spent waiting for something to happen. I found myself being entertained by what food my cell mate would get on his food tray. By the time I was getting discharged, I was actually nervous to leave. The whole situation had become very comfortable (let alone that I had a fantastic view from the window.)

Today, I wonder how often people exist in their own self imposed prisons? Living in this city, you get opportunities daily to change your life and take some chances, and all too often we let them go. It's easier to maintain the status quo and go with the motions rather than take a change.

I'm at work, performing half days this week until I have the strength to stay awake for a whole day. Percocet is my new friend in what is becoming a very long recovery. Still, seeing that I'm out of one prison...I'm beginning to realize that I've now got an opportunity to break out of my own self imposed prion and make some other drastic changes. So the question stands.

Should I dye my hair?

;-)

Patrick - 10:12 AM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com