The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Wednesday, August 22, 2007

On a School Night?

By the time I was a senior in college (ok...6th year senior...but whose counting?), I had a fairly rigid schedule. Up at 6 am, I worked and went to class from 7 am to 7pm, followed by rehersals for whatever show I was in from 7-11 pm. I would follow that by staying up and doing homework until 3 or 4 in the morning. It was the same every day and incredibly hectic, except that rehersals were always off on Thursday nights. Thursday nights were reserved for sleeping.

Well, they were supposed to be for sleeping. Instead, it was the night I could go out on the town, which is exactly what I did. Each Thursday, my best drinking buddies and I would hop onto the bus and ride the 36 miles to Denver to go out drinking and dancing in the "big city"! We were so cool! Of course, we were going out on a school night, but with the energy of youth, we didn't have any problems making it home by 3 and getting up at 6 the next day.

By the time I was working professionally in theater, I developed "actor's hours". Since most work for an actor starts at 6 and finishes at 11 or so, happy hour for the actor doesn't begin until after the show ends for the night. I got used to that until I finally grew up and took regular day work (I had student loans to pay).

Last night, I was invited to attend a birthday party for a date who works as a musician. We were to meet at the bar at 9:30 pm ...ON A SCHOOL NIGHT! I've forgotten how difficult it is to date someone that keeps these weird hours, as I'm usually in bed by 10pm at the latest. Maybe those of us with traditional employment are not supposed to be involved with those in the arts. Is this already set to be a doomed friendship, or am I going to have to start taking caffine pills to keep awake?

What surprised me, was just how many people were in the bar last night at this time. What the fuck do these people do for a living that they can all go out at 10pm and stay out until after midnight? Obviously I'm doing the wrong job.

Patrick - 1:26 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com