The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Meeting The Inlaws

Getting involved in a relationship is always complicated. Beyond getting to know one another, learning and trust enough to let your guard down, and eventually saying those precious words ("The money is on the dresser."), you eventually have to do something that everyone dreads. Introducing them to your family.

No...not the blood family, but rather those people that are such good friends, we call them family. These are the people who know us better than we know ourselves, and the people we trust with our most intimate details. They know exactly what went wrong in our prior relationships and although they might not understand why we hurt, they still stand beside us. These people are expected to judge us and our potential other partners.

Now I'm not at all likely to introduce anyone I've been seeing lately to any of my family. Hell, I can count on one hand the number of potentials that my family has actually met (does it count if you and the potential are no longer together when your family meets them?). However, that isn't where I'm going with this right now.

What happens if you have different sets of family? Different groups that really don't know each other?

For instance, I've got several friends groups here in NYC and besides me...they have nothing in common. Having these groups meet invites something short of disaster. What if they don't get along?

This is exactly what happened this past summer. I introduced two people from two different facets of my family (think distant cousins) and although they were cordial to each other, but they just didn't get mesh. Worlds collided and I was stuck in the middle. Eventually, I had to excuse myself, as the level of discomfort was just too much.

More importantly, these two familial sets never agree (although they don't know it). While one side suggests I do one thing (call him...he likes you), the other side is saying something completely different (dump him like a used condom!). Neither of which was good advice.

Where's Dr. Phil when I need him?

Patrick - 12:37 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com