The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Monday, November 19, 2007

Haunting

Growing up, I always wanted a Labrador Retriever as a pet. Besides being one of the most affectionate breeds, they aim to please and thrive on attention (which as a child I was dying to give). All through my college years and into my early adulthood, I put off getting that coveted dog. I always needed a bigger place, the time to care for the animal, the money.

When I moved to Ohio with the Ex, we got conned into adopting this "itty bitty little thing", which turned out to be a 110 pound black lab mix. The dog I always wanted...and unfortunately a major problem. The problem being that the house I lived in was so small that the dog couldn't turn around without knocking over furniture.

Yet, my partner and I tried. We bought a crate for when we weren't home, and a lease and balls and toys, and 25 pounds of dog food that the dog polished off a week at a time. In the three weeks I taught him the basic commands of "Sit", "Stay", "Fetch", and "Don't hump my leg!" He really was the perfect dog, but it wasn't fair to keep him in our tiny house. So, my partner used his connections and found a nice lesbian couple who lived on 30 acres of land. Those women agreed to to adopt my baby.

We drove him out to their farm, and he as always sat in the back seat with his chin on my shoulder...so he could look out the front windown. We took him out of the car, and his new moms met us in the front yard. Our dog was running around playing with their other animals and we figured it was probably the best time to leave. We got in the car and as we were driving away, I saw my dog for the last time. The look on his face is something I will never forget. He looked so confused, and started to run along with the car until the farm brush became too thick. That was the last time I ever saw my best four footed friend, and I cried the whole way home. The look on that dog's face haunts me still sometimes.

Yesterday, I got nearly an identitical look from someone as they rode off in a taxi cab to the airport. That look is going to haunt me as well.

Patrick - 2:28 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com