The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Machinery

I'm working a very important catering gig today that required I get a security clearance. All things went well and since I'm working the event tonight, I am not allowed to have any bags with me (as the Secret Service is not allowing them).

Unfortunately I also had a big meeting for work and had to be somewhat dressed up. So I wore my black tux pants, a black shirt, and a black tie. Normally this wouldn't be a problem (even though I look like death is visiting), however at this meeting I was required to stand in the hotel lobby and direct any attendees to exactly where the meeting was taking place. Because signs are too hard to read.

Ever stand in a hotel lobby dressed in all black? Nearly every person that walked in the door asked me directions to meetings going on in the hotel. I needed to carry a sign that said "I don't work here!", and face the look of astonishment and apologies. One woman had the audacity to actually ask me why I would dress like I was dressed, not believing that I didn't work for the hotel.

They say that the clothes make the man, and unfortunately my choice of dress says I'm the servant. It's my life...and normally it doesn't bother me, but what I find interesting is watching how people treat the service industry. I've had people I worked with in the past snap their fingers at me to refill their drinks during a catering gig (not realizing that I've worked with them on an office level).

The problem with wearing a uniform is that it makes the wearer a faceless machine. And machines don't need to hear please and thank you, and ideally people aren't supposed to be bothered by them. Those of us forced to wear a uniform are the "children" of society. Be seen and not heard. Have no opinion, as any input you have is not of significance. And for God's sake...smile.

So I smile....but excuse me if my smile looks a little forced. It's because inside I'm likely wishing your death.

Patrick - 11:29 AM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com