The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Monday, September 29, 2008

Preparations for Reparations

A year ago, around this time, I worked an event at a private residence on the Upper East Side. The client was a very wealthy family (he's the owner of a hedge fund, she's the recipient of many face lifts) who holds a a party this time of year to show off their art collection within their 6 floor townhouse.

I've worked for many very wealthy people, some celebrities, and most recently, over 50 heads of state. Most of the time, the even patrons treat you well, but this particular family has historically treated us like slaves, not their employees.

We are not permitted to use their bathrooms, but rather must go to the Starbucks that is next door. During last year's party, the owners dog crapped on the floor and we were ordered to clean it (I *may* have washed my hands before touching the food afterwards). The woman of the house referred to me as "boy" all evening, and has now insisted the catering company not send any foreigners, as they aren't the most trustworthy.

Thus, since I'm a natural born US citizen...I've been assigned to this party once again. The company, knowing how poor we were treated, is paying us a higher pay rate...but it still isn't enough. So I'm taking matters into my own hands.

The morning, I ate an entire can of Bush's vegetarian baked beans for breakfast. Lunch has consisted of cooked cabbage and two hard boiled eggs. Dinner before this shift starts will be another can of beans with two more eggs.

I'm putting the Doyle family curse to use for the good.

Patrick - 12:42 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com