The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Monday, September 22, 2008

Swimming

When I was nine years old, I had made friends with a kid in school that was from a skiing family. I, being a child of "the traveling hippy mom", was desperate for any friends, and therefore more that willing to exaggerate my ability of skiing. (I hadn't been on skies by that age). I had no problem telling this child how I was an avid skier that had gone skiing all the time the winter before. It was the perfect half truth that would get me a friend...finally.

Until he and his family invited me out for a ski weekend. Thankfully, his father was a ski instructor and after seeing me take a 15' run, just knew that it was going to be "private lesson" day. Ironically, I researched his address and sent him a thank-you card when I became an instructor in Colorado.

This past weekend, while walking the Hudson river, we saw a massive sailboat looking for shipmates to sail this upcoming weekend. A short sailing leaving Friday night and returning on Sunday evening, they are looking for experienced sailors. My companion has been sailing since he was a small child and signed us both up to sail this trip.

I have never been on a sailboat. I have worked on riverboat cruise lines, as a waiter, but have still no clue between starboard and port (unless you are talking wine). I tried to explain this to the captain of the boat, but she really didn't listen.

Thank God I can swim...because I have a feeling once we hit the open sea, we're going down faster than the Titanic.

Patrick - 11:25 AM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com