The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Careers

Today, I have a meeting with a counselor. Not a psychological counselor (althought I'm the first to admit I could benefit from one), but rather a career counselor. It's time to throw it to the professionals and have them help me to figure out what my next steps are in regards to what and where I want to go.

Now I had met with a director of HR at one point a few weeks ago, and he asked me a not so fun question. "What do you like to do in your free time?"

***Blank Stare***

I'm not sure I understand those words. "Free time". I've been working non-stop for nearly 3 years. It may sound odd, but I really don't have any hobbies anymore. I don't play sports like I used to, I'm never able to take time for myself, and when I have a free shift (a day is unnaturally odd), I'm more likely to just sit in front of the TV.

Yet, the first question the career counselor asks is "what do you like to do?", followed by telling me I need to incorporate what I like to do into what I want to do for a living.

What do I like to do?
Drink with friends
Have enormous amounts of sex
Converse with other people


Great...I'm either a prostitute or a US Senator.

Patrick - 11:33 AM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com