The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Reading the Signs

In 2004, while living in Cleveland, I took unofficial polls of the election. I would driving around and count all the political signage I saw on the lawns of all the homes. What was interesting to me was how when Bush was re-elected, just how angry people were. Businesses that had placed a Republican ticket sign in the window had to deal with post election organized boycotts.

This year, living in probably one of the most Democrat friendly areas, I'm seeing a whole different story. The socialites willingly discuss how Obama will be a good choice for the country, and McCain Supporters are very quiet in the city.

But walking around, I notice just how few signs I'm seeing in apartment windows. In this city, making your political choice in writing for the world to see is nearly nonexistent. I've had to rely on "official" polls, which although more accurate, really don't tell me much about my neighborhood.

I'm wondering...will there be more calls for boycotts based on how people voted? We're polarizing in this election in a dangerous way, and unless our leaders can work out compromise...nothing will get done over the next 4 years.

Hmmm...sounds like history is about to repeat itself.

Patrick - 12:52 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com