The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Friday, November 07, 2008

Clothes That Make the Man

Today, I am wearing a poor fitting, non breathing, and partially food stained polyester tuxedo that I have worn for the third day in the row. I'm convered in a fowl material that I wear strictly for my catering gigs.

I am dressed like a frumpy mess (at least that's how I see it) and it does bother me at times. Clothes supposedly make the man, and if the outside appearance says "I'm too broke to buy an iron and ironing board and only wear perma-press", I can only wonder what else people think of me.

Normally, I don't care, but there are times I wish I could dress better (like when the man suggests a restaurant that requires a sportcoat I don't own)...but in reality, having a somewhat small savings account in this economy seems a smarter decision for me. Thus until then, I'll continue to wear my uniform, no matter how demoralizing it is.

Uniforms are supposed to instill the viewer with a particular thought or mindset. The priest is supposed to look modest, the SWAT team member menacing, the military man as honerable. Yet I couldn't help but wonder (how's that Tuna?)...what happens when they don't live up the uniform?

While working an event the other night, I was bartending for a group of military officers. Young guys, some who have not yet turned 21, yet their commanding officer insisted since he was having the party, it was alright for them to consume alcohol. I refused to serve them, and took quite a bit of harassment from the military men.

During the singing of the National Anthem, the military men refused to move or speak (as they are supposed to do), but were angry with me for not continuing to make their drink while the song was sung.

I have respect for the military, and honestly, this event left me with such a bad taste in my mouth, if I hadn't met military men before this event, I would have likely lost all respect for them.

Uniforms, like looks, only go so far. It's what is on the inside that really counts.

Patrick - 1:48 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com