The Former Traveling Spotlight

The tales of a "30" something gay former stand-up comic living in NYC who is searching for his soul mate or soul...which ever comes first.





Monday, November 03, 2008

Karma

About a year ago, while walking down the street during the early evening, I noticed a shiny gold square on the sidewalk. It caught my eye enough that I actually took a second look. Somebody had dropped their Gold Visa Card on the sidewalk.

I picked it up, and to say that I never once was tempted about going shopping for groceries is a complete lie, but that temptation only lasted a full second. But I wasn't sure what to do with it. Leave it on the ground? Or take it and throw it away? Instead, I walked it the 5 blocks to the closest police station where I turned it in.

That being said, the police station wanted my address (which I don't give out), a copy of my ID, and several telephone contact numbers. I reacted by giving them a fake telephone number and saying I didn't have my id (which was true as I had been to the gym and hadn't brought my wallet). I just don't trust police officers.

They took the card, and called the credit card company where they cancelled the card for whoever the guy was that lost it in the first place.

Last night, karma paid me back. I left my apartment to go to the grocery store for some vegetables, only to have to face 40,000 runners and their family's all congregating on the streets of my neighborhood. I made it a block before I changed my mind and decided to go home to order in. I logged onto the delivery service and ordered a vegetable plate from the local Chinese restaurant, only to have my card declined.

I looked in my wallet to check the number, and noticed my card was missing. I called my bank card company, and somebody had found my card and deactivated it for me.


Fuck...now I guess I have to start being nice to strangers.

Patrick - 1:00 PM -








Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com